V. Application and Submission Information
A. Letter of Intent (Optional – Highly Recommended)
Although a letter of intent is not required, is not binding, and does not enter into the review of a subsequent application, the information that it contains allows EDM Forum staff to estimate the potential review workload and plan the review.
Applicants are asked to submit a letter of intent that provides a brief description of the following aspects of their project:
Letters should be sent to email@example.com by 10:00 p.m. EDT on May 4, 2015.
- Primary aims;
- Collaborating institutions;
- Corresponding challenges to be addressed;
- Collaborative approach and project activities; and,
- Key outcomes.
To submit a collaborative project proposal:
1) Proposal information
2) Project narrative
4) Budget justification
You will receive an email confirmation with a summary of your abstract once your submission has been received.
1) Proposal Information
Applicants must provide the following information into section 1 of the online form:
2) Project Narrative
- Investigator information including names and work affiliation of all co-investigators, contact information, and biosketches or brief biographies for primary contributors.
- Descriptive title of the proposed project
- Abstract (no longer than 150 words) that briefly describes the problem/challenge statement, highlights the types of stakeholders engaged and the value that this collaboration will bring to address the shared challenge, and describes the approach and outcomes of the project, highlighting the innovation and usefulness of the project to the community.
Submissions must provide a project narrative for the proposed work. Applicants must upload the project narrative into section 2 of the online submission form.
Please use the following bolded section headers
in the narrative to describe the proposed project. The Project Narrative should be no longer than 1000 words (not including section headers). The narrative is intended to concisely capture the key elements, objectives, and desired outcomes of the proposed project. Specific tasks, timeline, and detailed information about roles and expertise of the collaborating investigators should be provided in the budget and budget justification.
- Primary Aims: Please describe the aims and objectives of the project.
- Challenge Statement: Please describe the shared challenges to be addressed by the project.
- Methods: Please describe the approach, including data sources, analytic methods, or expert resources required.
- Collaborative Approach: Please describe the value of bringing together the diverse expertise of the various investigators participating from specific teams. Please explain how the proposed project is integrative in nature and draws on perspectives from multiple projects and stakeholder groups to advance understanding, dialogue, or collaboration.
- Key Stakeholders: The EDM Forum is committed to bringing new groups of stakeholders to participate in discussions and activities. Please specify the intended audience or stakeholders, how these individuals or groups will be engaged in the project, and how their perspectives will bring value to the EDM Forum community.
- Convening Activities: All funded projects include support for convening activities to promote exchange and collaboration across disciplines and sectors (including one in-person workshop with 15-25 people). Please elaborate on ways in which these activities will advance the goals of the team’s proposed project, and how the workshop will be used to enhance the utility and generalizability of the project to the communities the team aims to inform, influence, or activate.
- Key Outcomes: Please describe the specific products and deliverables as key outcomes of the project, as well as a description of the project’s potential for impact and generalizability. Please explain how the proposed work will contribute to the community of stakeholders who participate in the EDM Forum (e.g. researchers/QI analysts, government, policymakers, health care delivery systems, industry, business/payers, and patients/consumers).
Submissions must provide a budget for the proposed work specifying the amount of time required to complete the project and rate for each potential co-investigator and each staff member. Applicants must download, complete, and upload the budget template
into section 3 of the online submission form.
Please review the following information and requirements regarding the budget:
4) Budget Justification
- Mechanism of Support: Projects are awarded to the lead investigator’s institution as a subcontract to the AcademyHealth EDM Forum grant, AHRQ #U18 HS022789-01. Subawards and contracts to collaborating institutions must be made by the lead investigator’s institution.
- Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards: It is anticipated that the EDM Forum will support 2-4 projects for approximately $220,000 annually. Because the nature and scope of the proposed collaborative projects will vary from application to application, it is anticipated that the size of each award may vary also. The total amount awarded and the number of awards will depend upon the number, quality, and costs of the applications received. The expected range of funding is $25,000 to $100,000 per project.
- Budget and Project Period: The total funds for the collaborative projects must not exceed $100,000 for the one-year project period. An application with a total award request that exceeds $100,000 will not undergo peer review.
Indirect costs may be requested, but are not required: Any requested indirect costs must come from the total award amount.
- Do not include any costs related to the convening workshop (including travel), or publication: The EDM Forum will support travel to the convening workshop separately. Any requests for additional travel support must be justified. Proposals with total cost estimate exceeding $100,000 will not be considered.
Submissions must provide a budget narrative for the proposed work to describe the specific tasks, timeline, and detailed information about roles and expertise provided by the collaborating investigators. Applicants must upload the budget narrative into section 3 of the online submission form.
The Budget Justification should be no longer than 1,000 words (not including section headers) and should describe the following items:
- Personnel and their expertise, time allocation, and responsibilities;
- Project tasks (a general timeline may be provided here); and
- Other direct costs, if applicable
D. Proposal Deadline
Proposals will be accepted online at http://www.edm-forum.org/collaborate/submit
until 10:00 p.m. EDT on June 4, 2015
. Investigators will receive an auto-generated email confirming receipt of the submission, including a copy of the proposal. EDM Forum staff will follow up with investigators via email to confirm receipt of all required documentation by close of business on Friday, June 5, 2015. In the email message staff will also note any missing materials.
E. Contact Information
All questions regarding the submission process and scope of work should be directed to the EDM Forum
or phone 202.292.6700
(back to top)